Friday, February 08, 2013

Is Somebody Singing?

I mentioned previously that Commander Chris Hadfield, astronaut and musician, was going to collaborate with fellow musician Ed Robertson of The Barenaked Ladies on a song, written half on earth, half from space. Today they debuted it. It's called ISS (Is Somebody Singing?) and it is a treat.

See it debuted live on CBC radio here.

What an incredible time we live in!!! Think of the Mercury and Apollo astronauts, with their grainy video.

Anyway, to the song - snippets:

"There goes home, that brilliant ball of blue...
What once was fueled by fear, now has fifteen nations orbiting together here...
So sing your song, I'm listening, out here where stars are glistening,
I hear your voices bouncing off the moon;
If you could see our nation, from the International Space Station,
You'd know why I want to get back soon."

I was especially touched by "what once was fueled by fear..."

Sheet music and lyrics here (PDF).

And I believe I already mentioned that the song is in aid of Music Monday, a project of the Coalition for Music Education. A very good cause indeed.

ronnie (humming)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Sherwood Harrington said...

ronnie, this is incredible. Thank you so very, very much.

3:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home