Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Glad I didn't inconvenience you.

Me, on phone, to professional contact who had phoned me for the first time and was riddling off a lot of complex information: "We haven't met, so I'm going to let you know that I have a cochlear implant-"

Him: "Oh, that's okay."

(I went on to tell him that I sometimes found the phone challenging but if he spoke slowly and clearly we should be fine. It didn't occur to me until later what an odd response that was.)

Incidentally, a couple of months ago someone from our HR department (who knows me and knows I have a CI) called me about a matter related to HR, but not me personally (I was doing some research about employment standards). She said, unprompted "If I speak too quickly or you don't understand something, just let me know and we'll go over it again." She is literally the only person I work with who has ever made that outreach to me during a call unprompted. It was much appreciated.

ronnie

2 Comments:

Blogger Xtreme English said...

i say "think old and deaf and slow" and they get THAT right away. they also laugh. no further explanation needed. a course, you're not OLD or slow. Still.....

9:58 a.m.  
Blogger ronnie said...

That's hilarious! I am getting older and slower, so...

8:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home